|Date Posted||May 13, 2021|
The idea of establishing the Great Lakes University of Kisumu originated in the Tropical Institute of Community Health and Development (TICH) in Africa, which spearheaded the application for authority to operate as a university. The establishment of TICH was inspired by a number of sources expressing the need for a formal course in Community Based Health Care leading to a recognized academic qualification. Such a course would be offered by an academic institution that could effectively weave together theoretical, evidence based and practical hands-on analytical skills training into development, conducted in learning sites located in the community, civil society, industry and public institutions. It was thought that an Institute with the freedom to innovate but linked to an established University would be the best base for such a training program.
- Strategically focused to support the achievement of the University’s key corporate objectives in the development of the estate and its services.
- Set up class rooms and communal meeting spaces for educational and other uses as directed by the various timetable and programs
- Carry out Planned Preventive Maintenance and routine daily, weekly and other periodic checks as required by service and operational requirements and manuals, including periodic readings of the various utility meters located across the campus.
- Work closely with the H.O.Ds to ensure compliance with relevant health and safety legislation on estates matters including OSHA and risk assessments.
- Have knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions involved with the maintenance, repair, and operation of buildings, grounds, and operating systems.
Qualification & Competencies Required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Building and Construction or a related field.
- 3- 5 years relevant experience preferably in a learning institution.
- Ability to manage a complex property estates and facilities portfolio, staff and budgets.
- High level strategic planning and organizational skills, including forward planning and forecasting.
- The ability to respond appropriately to user demands and expectations.
- Basic Electrical experience (e.g. make safe broken light switch/sockets/plugs, replace failed light bulbs, etc.)
Applicants to send Cover letter, CV and testimonials indicating the position applied for to:
The Chairman of Governing Council
Great Lakes University of Kisumu
P.O Box 2224-40100
OR Send via mail to
Email subject line MUST read the position applied for. OR Hand drop to
Great Lakes University of Kisumu,
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Closing Date : 17th May, 2021