Software Engineer – App Stores Backend (Remote)
|Date Posted||May 23, 2023|
IT / Information Technology
- This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced software engineer passionate about open source software, Linux, and Web Services at scale. Come build a rewarding, meaningful career working with the best and brightest people in technology at Canonical, a growing international software company.
- Canonical's Store team develops and operates the backend services that power the Snap Store and Charmhub.io marketplaces. Our services are built primarily in Python, within a bit of Golang. If you have a passion for clean APIs, have a bias towards shipping and believe that tests are the key to higher velocity and reliability, you'll fit right in.
- We have some exciting challenges ahead including continuing to scale our production architecture, expand the store backend to handle additional package types, and enhance our on-prem offering for IoT and Enterprise solutions.
What you’ll do
- Collaborate remotely with a globally distributed team.
- Write clean web service APIs to support both CLI and web frontend clients, using Python (and optionally Golang).
- Design and implement new features and enhancements from spec to production and ongoing operations at scale.
- Review code and technical designs produced by other engineers.
- Discuss ideas and collaborate on finding good solutions.
- Work remotely with global travel 2 to 4 weeks for internal and external events.
Who you are
- You love technology and working with a diverse set of talented people.
- You are curious, flexible, articulate, and accountable.
- You value soft skills and are passionate, enterprising, thoughtful, and self-motivated.
- You have a broad technology base but favor backend code and infrastructure.
- You have proficiency developing public-facing APIs and web applications, preferably using Python and/or Golang.
- You know your way around relational and non-relational databases and can effectively design data models that perform well, and tune queries to access them.
- You are comfortable with Ubuntu as a development and deployment platform.
- You have a Bachelor’s or equivalent in Computer Science, STEM or similar degree.