|Date Posted||August 14, 2022|
African Entrepreneur Collective provides meaningful and practical skills and resources to help entrepreneurs grow their enterprises and create jobs and improve lives in their communities. We are the largest lender to refugee entrepreneurs in sub-Saharan Africa.
About the Opportunity
AEC Kenya seeks a highly talented, organized Senior Trainer who will manage and train a team of Business Development Advisors and Training Support Associates in the refugee livelihood program in Kakuma refugee camp and Kalobeyei settlement, replicating the success of Inkomoko in Rwanda and Kakuma and Kalobeyei refugee camps in Kenya.
The Senior Trainer will join our team with core responsibilities as follows:
Management (40% time)
- Supervise BDAs and Training Support Associates staff in Kakuma and Kalobeyei refugee camps, setting their work plans, contribute to their quarterly performance reviews, and maintaining weekly staff check-ins.
- Be aware at all times of key goals and develop daily strategies to achieve those goals in alignment with budget and culture
- Work with Training manager to plan and manage the budget, staffing, and other resource needs to deliver program outcomes
- Interpret, apply, and ensure departmental compliance with applicable donors and local policy laws and regulations.
- Lead local staff meetings and other organizational activities to share information with the team
- Ensure all staff under your supervision are compliant with organizational HR policies, and implement disciplinary actions when they are not
- Liaise with Training manager to ensure smooth operations (i.e. Managing Director, Loan Department, Finance Department, etc.)
- Be a good ambassador in ensuring the organizational culture is understood and followed through by all staffs under your supervision
- Represent the company in a highly professional manner in stakeholders’ and government meetings and events in the absence of the Regional Director and Training Manager.
- Elevate important trends, risks, and other notable activities to management
Training Implementation (50% Time)
- Develop new and review existing content to match client needs and refugee business dynamics in Kenya, Rwanda and Ethiopia.
- Manage training in all locations for all incoming clients in Kakuma, Kalobeyei and other areas of operation in Turkana County.
- Implement training of trainers as part of the ongoing classes schedule for BDAs
- Deploy a wide variety of training methods in several locations
- Conduct the training and shadow all the BDAs during training in all the locations
- Recommend clients that need extra/specific attention to the relevant Business Development Advisors of the location
- Coordinate with BDAs/TSA efforts about the training to clients and partners to ensure full participation
- Draft training reports from assigned locations and updates the online report
Operations & Administration (10% Time)
- Record billable hours and activities in organizational tracking systems (Odoo, etc.)
- Maintain an updated training schedule on the calendar and the website
- Work with the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning department to ensure training are assessed for impact and value to entrepreneurs
- Coordinate and manage the Training Support Associate and other training staff or instructors for smooth logistics
- Attend all Company-wide meetings and maintain organizational values in all situations
- Provide participant or financial reports to funders and partners as needed.
The ideal candidate will fulfill the following requirements:
- 5+ years of work experience in relevant fields and serving entrepreneurs
- Education requirement: University degree, Project Management, and other relevant academic qualification
- Experience business training, facilitation, content development, business consulting, business planning, and providing business advice
- Strong financial and accounting skills; familiarity with business financial policies in Turkana/Kenya
- Flexible and able to deliver results under pressure
- Experience working and managing teams remotely
- Excellent computer skills, especially with MS Excel, Word, project management tools(ie: Trello, etc.)
- Good written and oral communications skills
- Good presentation and training skills
- Shows perseverance, personal integrity, and critical thinking skills
- Outgoing and Social
- Honest and professional
- Must be based in the camp
- Excellent communicator to audiences in Swahili and English.
- Access to a smartphone 24/7
- Candidate should not be employed by any other organization with Camp activities currently.
What You’ll Get
- The fun, collaborative work environment
- Opportunity to work with a talented, passionate, and committed team of professionals
- Challenging work and the opportunity to grow and develop your skills
- Ability to make an impact and contribute to economic growth in Rwanda
- Competitive benefit package – health insurance, staff savings program, parental leave, sabbatical program, and more
All staff embody the company’s culture. In addition to the skills above, all candidates must demonstrate our core values:
- Purpose: be solutions-oriented and produce high-quality work and be a global leader.
- Achievement: push yourself to reach beyond what you think is possible.
- Improvement: Be humble and committed to continuous learning and growing. Improve through giving and receiving open and accurate feedback
- Bravery: willing to take risks and create a safe space for others. Be compassionate and inclusive.
- Turikumwe/Tuko Pamoja/ Abren Nen/Waalin Jirra/ We are Together: We appreciate our colleagues, celebrate success, and support each other in hard times.