|March 25, 2023
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Swiss funded UN-REDD Africa Forestry Forum (AFF) partnership will contribute to improved REDD+ implementation and increased results-based payments in the African region, the overall goals of the project are to:
- Strengthen African countries’ REDD+ capacities and knowledge,
- enhance sectoral policy coordination to guide appropriate REDD+ strategies and decision-making.
This position is home-based in Africa, under the supervision of Programme Management Officer UN-REDD Programme.
Working as part of the UN-REDD KM and Africa team and responding to partner country needs, outlined in the UN-REDD AFF prodoc, the project management and capacity development consultant will be responsible for facilitating a close coordination and collaboration with AFF as well as a timely delivery of the high-quality outputs expected from project implementation, such as knowledge exchanges, policy dialogues, trainings, communities of practice and advocacy side events. Furthermore, the consultant will support communicating success stories and lessons learned from UN-REDD’s African partner countries.
The consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Coordinate collaboration across three UN-REDD partner agencies, the project partner AFF and African governmental counterparts.
- Lead the implementation of the project following its concept note, work plan, and list of deliverables.
- Lead the contextualization of existing UN-REDD knowledge.
- Lead the production of new knowledge products to fill gaps in UN-REDD material.
- Lead the organization of Africa-specific webinars based on the REDD+ Academy.
- Lead the organization of Africa-specific training based on the REDD+ Academy.
- Lead the production of policy briefs.
- Lead the organization of advocacy side events at AMCEN and UNFCCC COP28
- Produce and promote stories on lessons learned from UN-REDD’s partner countries.
- Coordinate the work with UNEP’s digital transformation team to introduce innovative solutions to share knowledge in lowbandwidth scenarios,
- Coordinate support from UNEP to the implementation of the project by partner organizations e.g., knowledge exchange, policy dialogue, community of practice, etc.,
- A Master’s Degree in social or environmental sciences is required. A bachelor’s degree with an additional two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the master’s degree.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant work experience in project management is required.
- A minimum of seven years of relevant work experience in capacity development is required.
- Experience working on REDD+ and/or Agriculture, Forestry, and Other Land Use
- AFOLU) is desirable.
- Experience working with African governments is desirable.
- Experience working with international organizations is desirable
- Strong, proven project management skills.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to convene partners and facilitate consensus.
- Ability to coordinate a wide range of different outputs and partners.