|Date Posted||October 18, 2021|
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) is one of the largest Christian denominations in the United States, with about 4 million members in nearly 10,000 congregations across the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. We are a church that walks by faith, trusting God’s promise in the gospel and knowing that we exist by and for the proclamation of this gospel word. We proclaim Jesus Christ crucified and raised from the dead for the life of the world.
- The major assignment of the Nairobi International Lutheran Congregation (NILC) Pastor is to serve with undivided spirit to both the Kiswahili and the English-speaking groups with a wide knowledge of their background and self-interests. The pastor must be a uniting force in terms of service and attitude to the two groups.
- The NILC Pastor assisted by an associate pastor is expected to prepare the Sunday bulletin in both Kiswahili and English languages. The Pastor will preach and administer Holy Communion every Sunday or invite a guest preacher to do the same. Both Pastors assisted by their church elders are expected to have frequent visits to their church members, especially those with known problems.
Specific Assignments May Include The Following
There are five major areas of ministries in which the NILC Pastor will be in-charge or give proper supervision.
- Worship – Works with alter guild, flowers, musical instruments like guitars, keyboards, drums etc., greeters, choir, music and the ushers.
- Learning – Covers bible studies, confirmation, new life, membership, music school, and Sunday school.
- Witness – Oversees men’s fellowship, women’s fellowship, couples’ fellowship, Youth fellowship, dinners, and healing team.
- Service – Sunday fellowship, outreach, Parish nursing, photography, dressmaking school, nursery school, and HIV/AIDS support group.
- Stewardship – NILC financial auditing, capital improvement, offering counters, building projects, and property maintenance.
The NILC Pastor must have an attitude of delegating the services of the above ministries to those who have been chosen to run the same. NILC under the pastors supervision must be represented in all Kenya Evangelical Lutheran Church committees, executive council and the general assembly and abide to the KELC constitution. The Pastor will represent the NILC at the Theological committee of KELC and other bodies which he/she may be asked to participate.
All ELCA Global Personnel participate in mission interpretation.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya with the Kenya Evangelical Lutheran Church and Nairobi International Lutheran Congregation. The NILC Pastor is accountable to church members, church council, KELC executive council, and the KELC General assembly.
- Master of Divinity degree required with experience in service at the congregational level or church institution.
- Speak English fluently
- Know/ready to learn Kiswahili
Terms and Conditions
This position is supported under the terms of ELCA Service and Justice Expectations and Support for Long Term Global Personnel. Those provisions include: international transportation, transportation related to work assignment, pensions and major medical coverage, assistance with schooling for children through high school, housing and cash salary which is adjusted according to the goods and services differential for Kenya
If Candidate is Married
Both must complete an application for this position, even if the spouse will not be fulfilling a specific role in the ministry. In the context of global mission service, a spouse is seen as a representative of both the ELCA and of the receiving church, regardless of their actual role. It is important for the ELCA that both members of a couple understand the role of a missionary and are comfortable with this reality. In addition, an accompanying spouse receives an appointment to service by the ELCA and the support package for mission personnel includes compensation for an accompanying spouse.
General Qualifications For ELCA Global Personnel
- Openness to various expressions of Christian faith and respect for people of other faiths
- Respect for beliefs, values and customs of church and culture where assigned
- Well-developed inter-personal skills demonstrating understanding and compassion
- Demonstrated ability to carry out the responsibilities and the ability to adapt to different standards and practices
- Ability to work within the framework of a local administration
- Adaptable and flexible – sense of humor – good physical and emotional health
- Live and serve in a way which reflects the vision and expectations of the ELCA
Keyword: Kenya, Communications, Journalism, Consultant, ELCA, Global Mission