|Date Posted||May 13, 2021|
The NCIC is a statutory body established under the National Cohesion and Integration Act (Act No.12 of 2008). The Commission was borne out of the realization that long lasting peace, sustainable development and harmonious coexistence among Kenyans requires deliberate normative, institutional and attitudinal processes of constructing nationhood, national cohesion and integration. The Commission draws its existence from the National Dialogue and Reconciliation Agreement signed in Nairobi on 1 February, 2008 by the Government; Party of National Unity (PNU) and Orange Democratic Movement (ODM) delegations, and witnessed by H.E. Kofi A. Annan for the Panel of Eminent African Personalities. This Agreement formed the basis of the National Accord that H.E. President Mwai Kibaki and the Rt. Hon. Prime Minister Raila Amolo Odinga signed on 28 February, 2008 when the dialogue was officially launched.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Audit Committee:
The Audit and Risk Management Committee will be responsible for providing leadership in the formulation, implementation and review of Internal Audit policies, standards, guidelines and procedures in line with relevant laws and regulations. This will be to ensure that systems of internal controls and risk management are put in place and internal audit reports are reviewed.
Specifically, the Committee’s responsibilities will be to review and advice the Commission on the following:-
- Review the external auditors report on the financial statement and any supplementary report outlining findings, observations, recommendations, management responses and status of any action plans.
- Review interim financial reports with management including reports on investments, cash flow and budget versus actual income and expenditure and consider completeness.
Risk Management and Internal Controls
- Review the most significant risks on management and on the scope of review by internal and external auditors that could prevent NCIC from achieving its objectives and in the light of this, consider the effectiveness of the Commission’s risk management and internal control systems, including information technology, security and control.
- Oversee special investigations relating to risk management, internal control and compliance as required.
Compliance and Litigation
- Obtain regular updates from management regarding compliance matters and assess the effectiveness of NCIC systems for monitoring compliance.
- Obtain regular updates from management regarding any litigation in which the Commission is engaged including assessments of contingent liabilities associated with such litigation in the event of judgments made against NCIC.
Member of the Audit committee requirements and competencies
- Be a Kenyan
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following: –Accounting, Auditing, Risk Management, Finance, Economics, Procurement, Human Resource Management,Law or any other related field from a University recognized in Kenya;
- Be a member of a professional body
- Possess at least 5 years’ experience in the public or private sector at a senior level;
- Have a thorough understanding of the relevant legislations, best practices and emerging issues in Accounting, Auditing, Risk Management, Finance, Economics,Human Resource Management, Procurement, Law and other related fields;
- Have a good understanding of Government operations and financial management system
Skills and attributes
Members of the Audit Committee should possess the following attributes;
- Good work ethic
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Organisational skills
- Leadership Skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Problem solving skills
Terms of service
- Member of the Audit Committee shall be appointed for a term of three years on part-time basis and may be considered for re-appointment for a further one term (of three years only).
- Member of the Audit committee shall be paid allowances at rates determined by the Salaries and Remuneration Commission (SRC)
Applicants are required to attach the following documents in their application:
- National Identity Card/Passport;
- Academic and professional certificates and transcripts;
- Any other supporting documents and testimonials; and
- Valid and current clearances from the following bodies:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission
- Any of the Registered Credit Reference Bureaus;
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Police Clearance Certificate).
- Submit recommendations from a relevant professional body
GradeNCIC-006 No Sought 1 Advert Ref NCIC/MC/1/2021 Recruitment Member – National Cohesion and Integration Commission Audit Committee