|Date Posted||September 12, 2020|
The National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) was established under Cap 255 of the Laws of Kenya in 1966 as a department in the Ministry of Health to provide health insurance exclusively for those in the formal employment. In 1972 an amendment was made to allow for membership for those in the informal employment. The Fund was then transformed into a state corporation through an Act of parliament, NHIF Act No. 9 of 1998. The Fund’s core mandate is to provide social medical insurance cover to all its members and their declared dependents (spouse and children). The Fund’s vision is “A world class universal social insurer”.
REF. NO. NHIF/DBPM/001/20
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the successful candidate will be responsible for overall leadership and oversight in the implementation of sustainable operational strategies related to member registration and retention, revenue collections, benefits management, case management, claims processing, quality assurance and policies for enhancing increased accessibility and quality healthcare for NHIF members and declared dependents geared towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC).
- Lead the development, implementation, monitoring and review of sustainable operational strategies relating to member registration and retention, revenue collections, claims processing, case management and quality assurance;
- Lead stakeholder engagement activities that will enhance the achievement set targets in member registration, revenue collection, case management and claims processing;
- Oversee empanelment of health providers and ensure they are operating in line within the contracts and set industry and professional standards;
- Lead strategic purchasing initiatives
- Lead a team of professionals within the directorate
- STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT
- Provide technical advice to the CEO and Board of Management on issues of compliance, member registration. claims administration. healthcare provider surveillance, beneficiary satisfaction, disease patterns and trends:
- Engage with the stakeholders in the Public. Private and Sponsored Programs Sectors to identify and optimize on membership registration opportunities:
- Engage county governments and other potential partners in ensuring that all respective county residents have insurance membership with NHIF:
- Develop, enhance, and implement diagnosis, procedure, and other classifications;
- Develop, pilot. and implement prospective provider payment mechanisms;
- Define cost modelling methodology and required data sets and develop costing manual;
- Determine the prices of health care services, drugs and consumables based on developed costing manual;
- Prepare and educate the public on the prices of services, drugs and consumables included in the Health Care Benefits;
- Determine the method of drugs prescribing and determine the way of issuing of drugs covered by NHIF.
- Refine referral guidelines;
- Propose functions and funding for specific health services to be added to the NHIF on an incremental basis;
- Participate in the Health Needs Assessment for clinical interventions, pharmaceuticals and technologies with other responsible bodies;
- Compile the annual plan of needs for procurement of the Health Care Benefits;
- Participate in the Health technology assessment (H TA) for clinical interventions, pharmaceuticals and technologies with other responsible bodies;
Contracting And Empanelment
- Develop and implement performance based contracting methodology, including performance indicators. quality indicators, contract monitoring and payment terms;
- Administer contracts ensuring efficient process of preparing, signing, reviewing, adjustment and payment based on performance reports;
- Define standard operating procedures for the implementation of performance-based contracting, including contract performance monitoring, performance verification, payments, sanctions. grievance redress and contract renewal and modification;
- Train NHIF service providers’ staff in the procedure of contracting of service providers. monitoring contract performance, identifying challenges. performance-based payments. and costing.
- Develop and implement policies and strategies for effective and efficient management of claims;
- Ensure both employer and individual member accounts are managed properly;
- Collect, analyze, monitor and control reports/invoices from contracted health facilities;
Customer Care, Case Management And Quality Assurance
- Manage the process of receiving and processing complaints from Beneficiaries;
- Oversee the operations of the call centre;
- Perform preauthorization of benefits, concurrent review of patients undergoing treatment and post hospitalization reviews.
- Perform Beneficiary’s satisfaction surveys and undertake other diagnostic studies;
- Coordinate the production and dissemination of all monitoring and evaluation reports including statistical reports;
- Facilitate and undertake investigations of Beneficiary fraud and corruption.
- Facilitate investigations of Health Service Provider fraud and corruption.
- Develop and implement strategies that enhance membership registration, retention and revenue growth;
- Develop and implement policies on regional and branch network expansion that will ensure NHIF services are accessible across the country;
- Develop and implement policies and strategies for effective and efficient case management and clinical audits;
- Develop and implement policies and strategies on business process re-engineering;
- Develop and implement policies on minimum acceptable quality benefits by healthcare facilities;
- Develop and implement strategies for enhancing increased accessibility to healthcare facilities by NHIF members and their declared dependants; ICT
- Support development of Prospective provider reimbursement mechanisms in the operating ICT systems;
- Develop and implement medical procedure codes in the operating ICT systems; Key Competences
- A strategic thinker with problem-solving, analytical, innovative and creative skills
- Ability to develop networks, alliances and collaborate widely to build and maintain strategic relationships.
- Strong acumen to effectively manage multiple stakeholders with diverse interests.
- Demonstrable professional and personal integrity
- Ability to persuade others. build consensus and gain cooperation.
- Strong experience in managing and building staff capabilities.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
The Ideal candidates should possess the following:
- A Bachelor’s with a Master’s Degree in any of the following fields; Economics, Medicine. Business Administration, Pharmacy, or a relevant field from a recognized university.
- Professional certification in Quality Management. Insurance or any other relevant certification.
- Minimum twelve (12) years’ relevant work experience, four (4) of which is in a senior managerial role. Experience in a Medical Insurance company will be an added advantage.
- Experienced in leading through coaching. mentoring a team of staff with a deep understanding of business operations in healthcare sector
- Ability to create and manage strong relationships with both internal and external customers
We appreciate your application and advise that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted and invited for interview. Each application should be accompanied by a detailed Curriculum Vitae. copies of relevant academic and professional certificates. testimonials, national ID and other relevant supporting documents and submitted through
to The Chief Executive Officer. All applications should be clearly marked -Position Title and Reference Number on the subject line.
Applicants are required to obtain clearance from the following bodies:
- Kenya Revenue Authority:
- Higher Education Loans Board
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission:
- Any of the Registered Credit Reference Bureaus: and
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations (Police Clearance certificate).
Closing Date : 16th September, 2020