|Date Posted||January 27, 2021|
Health Care / Medical
APHRC is a leading pan-African research institution headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, that conducts high quality policy-relevant research on population, health, education, urbanization and related development issues across Africa. APHRC actively engages policymakers and other key stakeholders to achieve measurable policy impacts and ensure decision making across the continent is informed by rigorous evidence-based research.
To this end, APHRC seeks to recruit a Data Scientist to establish an online repository of data and evidence for RELI members. The position will be based at APHRC, Nairobi, Kenya, and may include some travels from the home country to specified meetings in other countries in Africa.
- Facilitating a discourse on data extraction, access and sharing protocols with RELI members, MEL mentors, and the funder;
- Data cleaning and harmonization including conducting all the required consistency checks for data from various partners and studies;
- Creating automated systems for data harmonization and consistency checks;
- Documentation of data sets from various partners according to agreed guidelines on data documentation, archiving and sharing;
- Perform basic and advanced statistical analysis of data;
- Developing an interactive data platform on the RELI website complete with data archiving protocol/architecture, programming the protocols, data cleaning etc.;
- Participate in evidence sharing sessions with select regional bodies to inform regional and global discourses on education and enhance RELI visibility;
- Write technical reports on data issues; and
- Participate in proposal development and review.
Key Competencies, qualifications and experience:
- Master’s degree in computer science, statistics, economics, machine learning, or other related technical disciplines;
- At least two years of experience in mining, processing, cleansing and quality assessment of data from diverse studies and organizations;
- Experience in data analysis using STATA, R, SPSS and data documentation software’s such as NESTAR;
- Experience in visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders and the use of relevant data science tools kit;
- Ability to regularly report and synthesize emerging information;
- Good communication, presentation, and teamwork skills.
The appointment will be for a one –year period renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding.