|Date Posted||May 19, 2021|
The African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP) is an African-led, regional non-profit policy think tank established in 2010 to help bridge the gaps between research, policy and practice in development efforts in Africa. We analyse, synthesise, and translate evidence (i.e. data and research) and use it to generate or strengthen political commitment, inform resource allocation, programme design and implementation. The aim is to contribute to the realisation of sustainable development by enabling the formulation of sound policies and programme interventions.
AFIDEP therefore invites applications from suitably qualified individuals for the position of Communications Officer. The position will be based in our Kenya office with responsibilities to coordinate regional activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties and responsibilities of the Communications Officer will be to:
- Communication and Marking & Branding Strategies
- Lead the process of developing and implementing the BUILD Project communications strategy.
- Lead the process of developing the BUILD Program Branding and Marking Strategy in accordance with USAID policies and guidelines
- Publications, Content
- Write stories and blogs based on the BUILD program for publishing in newsletters, AFIDEP website and other development blogs websites
- Contribute to editing, design, and production of BUILD Program publications
- Prepare content and produce BUILD Program’s IEC materials.
- Multi-media Products
- Produce and publish multi-media products based on BUILD Program work (including videos, podcasts, photo-stories, infographics, animations, etc.).
- Media Engagement
- Establish and sustain links and contact with relevant journalists in all the BUILD Program hub countries to increase awareness of integrated Family Planning, Reproductive Health and Population, Environment and Development (FP/RH and PED) work among journalists.
- Develop media materials based on evidence generated by the BUILD Program including media releases, media kits, Op-Eds, etc.
2.Website and Social Media Management
- Contribute to establishing and managing the BUILD Program repository, ensuring that web content related to the program in all hub countries are well presented and up to date
- Contribute to managing BUILD Program social media accounts (i.e. Facebook, Twitter and You Tube).
- Keep abreast of other emerging social media and web 2.0 tools, taking advantage of these to extend the reach and impact of PED work.
3.Conferences and Symposia
- Identify target audiences and create strategies to effectively engage them.
- Lead the process of organizing program related policy dialogues, symposia and conferences.
Qualifications and Experiences
- Masters’ Degree in Communications, Media or International Relations
- At least 5 years’ experience in communication science practice.
- Ability to promote the Program brand, interact with the public and establish productive relationships with key stakeholders and policymakers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Bilingual competency in both English and French is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of digital visibility and marketing tactics.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to exercise good judgement and solve problems quickly and effectively.
- Excellent writing skills – news and media stories
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Technical skills in publications design and web design and management
- Ability to negotiate and form credible relationships within the organisation as well as with senior decision-makers in external institutions
- Skilled communicator, able to dialogue effectively with a wide range of audiences/constituencies and to represent the organisation with authority and credibility to the outside world, including the media
- Ability to convey technical arguments in clear and vivid prose.
- Previous working experience in a USAID funded program will be an added advantage.
- Role of research in policy-making
- African context and how this influences decision-making in the areas of health, population and development
- Global developments in development policy, global health, among others
- Excellent understanding of public policies and laws
- Good knowledge of current issues and debates in development policy and international development politics
- Proven skill in translating research and evidence into effective advocacy strategies that have achieved policy change at a national or international level.
Minimum level of personal and professional experience required to perform effectively in the role.
- Experience of writing editing research reports, publications or other relevant outputs;
- Experience in policy engagement and advocacy work, with sharp policy analysis, lobbying and alliance-building skills;
- Experience in research communications and research evidence translation;
- Proven success in developing an effective country, regional or international communications and policy engagement strategies.
- Well-networked with a strong knowledge of regional and pan-African development and socio-economic issues;
- Competency in facilitating national and international advocacy strategies.
- Model performance and positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organisation;
- Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results;
- Proactive and independent attitude;
- Flexible and adaptive with a positive approach to managing substantial projects and associated resources;
- Build relationships through establishing and maintaining positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization;
- A committed team-player with ability to negotiate and form credible relationships with senior managers within the organisation as well as with senior decision-makers in external institutions;
- Uphold integrity and model ethical behavior, and ensure that own behavior and the behavior of others is consistent with the standards and the values of the organization.